Monday 7 June 2010

5 weeks is still a long time

I seemed to be the last person to go on my year abroad considering that everyone else seemed to go in June or July of last year and I arrived in the first week of October. So it seems fitting that I will be the last person to maybe leave the year abroad experience.

After my time spent in hospital and also the countless hours waiting in doctors surgeries waiting for removal of stitches. It has got me reflecting on what a truly amazing year this really has been and to be honest I do not think I would change it at all. Not even the snow-in experience at Manchester airport with Dave Titcumb in January or me narrowly missing the volcanic ash just after Easter.

My Erasmus placement was just perfect. I got to learn alot of new stuff, I probably didn't speak as much German as I should have but I got to know people from Italy, Bulgaria, Scotland(that oh so distant place), Hungary, Austria, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Finland etc etc. Those times spent partying in numerous bars, flats etc will truly never be forgotten and partly never remembered. How can I forgot my former halls of res people; Bernie-Boy, Ilya and Patrick. Little did they know that the scouser was coming to stay and well liven everything up just a little bit.

Sean Bannon stealing stationary from Bouvier bookshop and forever yelling' MRS BOUVIER'. Charlotte, Isi and I taking a trip to the perfume department to hide the *insert beethovens symphony here* TUNFISCH UNFALL. Ina going crazy moments before a speaking exam which resulted in Charlotte needing ' a moment to calm down'. Revision at residence Ina or taking a trip to Carina's random house miles from Bonn. Funny funny moments had by all.

Then Thomas - who would have known that in October last year a train would be delayed due to someone either killing themselves or attempting to kill themselves and that it would be the strangest reason for us to meet and return back safely together to Tannenbusch Mitte. In every way you amaze me and weirdly/it is unknown that you know me so well and who I really am. I am insane, I am crazy, I freak out - you have just been THERE when I needed you and when we are both sick of each other then we know what to do. It's just been great and well still is all great- you know?

My arrival in Stendal has also made me realise that maybe teaching is not for me and that maybe small town living is not for me but so far I have damn well experienced it and stuck it out. The kids in my school pretty much make my job and also entertain me for hours from their random loves of the royal family to playing 'making a sandwich'' piley-ons while 'learning' English. I have met some interesting and unforgettable characters here in Stendal too and probably when I go I will ever so slightly miss my little life style here.

Anyway - I can re write this in 5 weeks time when I actually leave. I have to look forward to another visit from the Dot, a visit from the Thomas, a visit to the Thomas and then 2 weeks of abusing what Stendal has to offer and also packing to travel back to the UK.

Over and out, Roger.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're on the mend and your year does seem like an amazing time. The question now is: how are you going to pack everything so it all fits on the back seat of a fairly small car? That is this month's conundrum. We're looking forward to seeing you and Stendal and travelling together for a couple of days. We'll see how you cope with the oldies ;)
    Simon & Agnieszka x

    ReplyDelete